Two Crashes, A Launch, & A Podcast

The last week has been pretty eventful. My hard drive crashed earlier this week, and my friend Jenny’s server puked out on her yesterday (resulting in half a day of downtime).

Yet somehow, through that mess, there are still two great pieces of news.

The ExConsumer Ebook Is Here!

It’s been awhile since I’ve done a product review on this site, and I can’t think of a better reason to change that than Jenny’s new ebook: ”Wake Up: Break Free From Advertising Influences”. This is the first ebook from Jenny McCutcheon of ExConsumer, and I think it was worth the wait.

The ebook isn’t a deep dive into the subtle nuances of advertising; it’s exactly what the title says: a wake-up call. If you’re incredibly knowledgeable about marketing there’ll be a lot in Jenny’s ebook that you already know. But if you’re not, you might just be amazed at how much you don’t know.

I’m one of those people who would say “I’m pretty knowledgeable about advertising, so I don’t really need to read an ebook on the topic”. But I can tell you that since reading it, I’ve been more attentive to many aspects of the advertising around me.  To me, that alone would be worth the price of the ebook.

For those of you who aren’t as knowledgeable, Jenny opens up marketers’ playbooks, shows you what they’re up to, then gives you the information you need to reduce and reverse the incredible psychological impact of advertising messages.

If you’d like more information about it, head over to Jenny’s site and check it out!

The Untitled Minimalism Podcast Is Here!

My first podcast is also going live today! My hope with this podcast is to interview one author or blogger every three to four weeks about a topic related to minimalism, simplicity, or frugality. I’m going to try to keep these podcasts in the 30-minute range.

Since Jenny’s ebook was launching today, I sat down with her earlier this week to discuss marketing, advertising, and her book launch. Check out the podcast here!

For those of you who use iTunes or another podcast management program, I’m still sorting out how to turn the podcast into a separate audio feed. I’ll have it sorted out in the next week or so. But until then, you can download the MP3 directly.

Let me know your thoughts on the podcast, and if you have a topic you’d like to hear covered (or if you’d like to be interviewed!) feel free to drop me a line in the comments or via my contact form. My door is always open!

Posted April 5, 2012 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

Whoo-hoo! Thank you so much Robert. It’s hard to believe that the launch still happened today given all of the challenges this week. Whew.

I had a great time working with you and being part of your first podcast!
Jenny @ Ex-Consumer recently posted..Wake Up: Break Free from Advertising Influences

Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:10 am | Permalink

It was fun working with you too. Thanks for being willing to be the guinea pig for the first podcast. :D

Posted April 5, 2012 at 1:11 pm | Permalink

[...] “This isn’t a deep dive into the subtle nuances of advertising; it’s exactly what the title says: a wake-up call. If you’re incredibly knowledgeable about marketing there’ll be a lot in Jenny’s ebook that you already know. But if you’re not, you might just be amazed at how much you don’t know. Jenny opens up marketers’ playbooks, shows you what they’re up to, then gives you the information you need to reduce and reverse the incredible psychological impact of advertising messages.” ~ Robert Wall of Untitled Minimalism You can check out Robert’s podcast interview with me about Wake Up here: Two Crashes, A Launch and A Podcast  [...]

Posted April 5, 2012 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Robert and Jenny, here’s the one thing I remember from my advertising classes: Soap is soap; the rest is advertising. The professor who said that was absolutely off his rocker, but he was right about that.

I have a degree in communication with a minor in business, so I’m an expert in marketing, a field in which I never really wanted to be involved.

Gip @ So Much More Life recently posted..Best Decisions: Reducing The Paper In My Life

Posted April 6, 2012 at 2:13 am | Permalink

Got very excited when I saw there was a podcast! You Guys are braver than I !! Was great putting voices to typed words. Good luck with the launch Jenny, and Robert if you ever decide on a career change I reckon you have the tones of a presenter (and no not taking the mick!) …
Jo@simplybeingmum recently posted..Not Buying It – Birthday Cakes

Posted April 6, 2012 at 6:40 am | Permalink

Ha, ha. Yes, it’s always a little nerve wracking to speak rather than write. And you’re right Jo, Robert has a radio quality voice for sure!

Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Hi Jo! I always love when a comment winds up sending me to Google to get a definition. I’ve never heard the expression “taking the mick” – so I have a new phrase to add to my vocabulary. :)

Thanks for the feedback Jo – it’s always appreciated!

joanna @ I Won\'t Be A Hoarder Too
Posted April 6, 2012 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Hi Robert, I’m super excited about the podcast! I tried it thought but could only hear your comments and not Jenny’s. What am I doing wrong?

Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:07 am | Permalink

Hi Joanna! I see that you figured it out, but I just want to post what (I think) the solution was in case anybody else is having the same problem.

The way the recording was done, Jenny is on track and I’m on the other. So if she’s on the right track, I’m on the left. If one of your speakers isn’t working properly, you’ll have the issue.

I’m trying to figure out the best way to fix this on future podcasts – I’ll definitely have it figured out by the next one. :)

Posted April 9, 2012 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

I haven’t listened yet, but I’ve always wondered why talk radio doesn’t do that (interviewer in one channel, interviewee in the other) and perhaps what Joanna experienced is the reason. You should be able to remix it to mono easily enough, Robert. If you wanted to keep some sense of directionality yet avoid problems with single-speaker listeners, you could re-mix it with each voice panned about 20% to one side or the other.
      Mike | Homeless On Wheels recently posted..Intersection of Naturism and Minimalism

Posted April 10, 2012 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

That’s what I was planning on doing….the only question I’m stuck with for the moment is the nature of the magic set of incantations to get my audio editing software to do that.

I’m sure I’ll have it hashed out by the next podcast – and once I figure it out I’ll go back through and re-work this one too. :D

Thanks for the feedback Mike!

joanna @ I Won\'t Be A Hoarder Too
Posted April 6, 2012 at 7:52 am | Permalink

nevermind, I figured it out. I really enjoyed it! Looking forward to your next one.

Posted April 6, 2012 at 11:08 am | Permalink

I really appreciate the feedback Joanna – I’m planning on doing one every three to four weeks….that frequency may be a little more or less often, depending on how much interest I get. :)

Thanks for commenting!

Posted April 9, 2012 at 11:00 pm | Permalink

Good job, Robert! It was nice hearing your and Jenny’s voices. As for the method of delivery, if you do end up putting it on I-tunes and wherever else, please keep it as a simple download (not a link to Itunes) from your blog, too. Oh, and you might give a second thought to using the URL obfuscator, er, link shortener; right-click-save-as doesn’t always work right through them. Is there some reason you don’t want to post a clear link to the mp3?

Posted April 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Yeah, I hate podcasts that just give the link to iTunes. I plan on offering both – iTunes and regular RSS-based. There are too many alternative podcast players for me to not make it available both ways.

The reason for the URL obfuscator on this one is because I was curious as to the number of people who’d wind up downloading and listening….it was the easiest way to attach stats to things.

I don’t plan on doing it in the future – I’ll have trackers on the RSS and email subscriptions that should give me a good idea what the opening rate is. :)

Thanks again for the feedback Mike!

Posted April 18, 2012 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Howdy! I realize this is somewhat off-topic but I needed to ask. Does operating a well-established website like yours take a large amount of work? I’m brand new to writing a blog however I do write in my diary daily. I’d like to start a blog so I will be able to share my own experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any ideas or tips for new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!
Lizzie recently posted..Am I Overweight Know The Health Risks